If you can’t laugh at yourself…

A morning blog but figured I should let everyone know I am still alive!! I am happy to report that the surgery went well and there appears to be no cancer. Praise the Lord!!!

Tim and I had to arrive two hours before my procedure so it was a very early morning for both of us last Friday. We left home at 3:30am and all I could think was how much I wished we were going on vacation instead…because what other reason would anyone be driving this early!

This experience ended up being extremely bizarre and even Tim felt uncomfortable.😬 When we first arrived, we had to go to the 8th floor, which I didn’t even know there was an 8th floor…and we know everything about this hospital!!

I had to get a buzzer and then Tim and I sat in the large waiting room with several other people. Buzzers were going off left and right and the whole scene just took me off guard which I couldn’t help but laugh. Once my buzzer went off with a few others, we were all informed to gather at the hall and then a nurse showed up and walked us to another long hall with several individual rooms. Honestly, I kind of felt like an experiment where we were all taken in groups and then separated and individually led to the unknown…some of us may live and others maybe not?!πŸ‘€πŸ˜³

I got all fancied up from head to toe…notice no wedding ring OR Fitbit!! I felt extremely exposed even though just about every part of me was covered! “Don’t you wish your girlfriend was hot like me…dontcha?”😭😜 Tim was able to distract and keep me calm as I got 5 pokes from the needle…three of which were unnecessary, in order to get an IV started. Once 7:30 rolled around it was go time! Tim said he would see me in a couple of hours, kisses were given and I was off. My surgery was set to be done by 9:30am followed by a little recovery time and nurses had even confirmed that most likely we would be on our way home by noon at the latest! How wrong they were…

Once back on the table the nurses put a mask over my face and told me to take a few deep breaths in and out…I remember the first breath in and that was it.

The next thing I remember, I’m pulling the tubes out of my nose telling the nurses I want to go back to sleep! Apparently my recovery was not as smooth. After surgery, I had a difficult time waking up. My oxygen saturation levels were low and due to the meds I had received during surgery, it was extremely difficult for them to wake me up. Several times I vaguely remember taking the oxygen tube out of my nose and then I would go back to sleep and wake up with the tube back in. I was not able to stay awake or keep my oxygen up on my own so of course this became a big concern.

But FINALLY, my body cooperated and I was able to keep my levels up although I was still extremely sleepy. 7 hours later I saw my husband’s smile with a hint of worry across his face. I think he was more relieved to see me than I appeared to see him as I simply told him I didn’t like anyone at that hospital and he needed to take me home now. 😁 The doctors were all wonderful though and did a fantastic job dealing with me given my health history. They were prepared and did what they had to do to keep things moving in the right direction. I just feel bad if I got grumpy with them! And I really thought this “grouchy” gift was for Tim but now I’m not so sure?!  

We are also EXTREMELY grateful that our friend Brian showed up at the hospital and was actually with Tim the majority of his waiting time! Tim has struggled waiting with my routine angios and other procedures in the past and those only take a few hours, they’re routine and he knows what to expect, but this? He would have been a hot mess waiting an entire day by himself! So thank you again Brian for distracting Tim and being a blessing when he needed it the most!

I have been sore and extremely tired and even joked with Tim if doctors did compressions because my chest has ached as well!  But, I am recovering slowly and have had tremendous support…being spoiled with meals every night for us, help with the kids and actually this is the most I’ve been away from the younger two ever and it’s hardπŸ™…two nights on the weekend then Asher stayed at grandma’s again a couple of nights during the week! Man did I miss them!! I will admit I had a few moments where I began feeling like an inadequate mommy again with them gone but thankfully I immediately put those thoughts to rest!

In fact, kids come home telling me how much fun they had with all of their grandparents or Asher came home and said how much fun he had at his friend’s house…which he still talks about his buddyπŸ˜‰ Their smiles are absolutely priceless! This is the first time we have accepted so much help and my kids are loving it! In fact, instead of them being at home bored with me and seeing how sick I am, they are able to have fun and not focus on my “ouchies!” And I am not tempted to overdo anything with them gone, giving me the chance to recover faster so that I can have better days with them sooner! 

And then just so many continued prayers have been a huge encouragement! It is so amazing how God’s love shines through so many of you and Tim and I simply cannot thank you enough!😍 Not to mention being an amazing example to our kids!!

I am thankful that everything turned out well from this surgery and for now, I am patiently pacing myself and resting a lot…obviously I am entertaining my cousin, πŸ˜‚ then sorting out and printing off pictures from my phone or simply enjoying quite a few movie nights😜  

And I of course have to give a shout out to our friends who went on a massive texting rant my first night home or second night?Haha, I don’t know and thought it was just my meds but nope, these couples really know how to make me laugh!!  I won’t give out any names but we will always have…πŸ˜‚πŸ€•πŸ˜‚πŸ˜œ  

And even though Tim and I have had some not so happy moments with each other, haha…little silly gestures like this make me love him even more…surprisingly 😍😜  

Thank you all for taking the time to help us out especially when we know how busy so many of you are! You really have no idea how much you have all been there for us in every single way whether with the kids, meals, praying or simply checking in to see how I am doing and offering any help to us that we might need! Have I mentioned how blessed we are?! 😍 

Hope you all enjoy the rest of your week!

One thought on “If you can’t laugh at yourself…

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s